Thursday, September 22, 2011

Friends of Owl Really: Punctuation Studio

You may remember Wendy Lee from previous posts (she helped me set up my new booth and she contributed a Favorite Find) and I'm pleased to feature Wendy Lee's booth at the Tennessee Antique Mall!

I took some photos of her booth and she answered some questions I sent her. Read on to find out more!



What's your background? How did you get into thrifting/upcycling?

I grew up in the San Francisco Bay Area and aside from a few trips to the flea market, I wasn't exposed to much in the way of thrifting or antiquing. In college I fell in love with old things and the stories they tell, but it wasn't until I moved to Amsterdam when I was 23 that I caught what some call "the sickness." As a missionary, I had next to no money to buy any of the amazing antiques I saw there, but it's where I learned to "trash pick" and began salvaging cast-offs and giving them new life with a coat of paint or a little fabric. It's been a way of life ever since. Buying my 1935 cottage seven years ago finally gave me license to run wild. I could paint walls and make holes and redo things to my heart's content. And so I do, as part of an ongoing, never-ending process.


What is your booth focus or specialty?

I like bright colors, fun fabrics, and vintage pieces reinterpreted. I guess you could call it sort of urban country retro. I don't have a strategy as much as a clear idea of what I like. I'm always buying chairs and mirrors and cupboards, and my yard is always marked with spray paint from my latest projects.



Where do you find inspiration?

I'm always looking at magazines, books and blogs, watching TV shows and trolling the local antique booths and flea market for ideas and inspiration. I like pieces that are unique but not over the top, ones that will fit in a home and feel like they've always been there. Friends' design also plays a big role. I love studying the choices other people make.

What is your favorite item in your booth?

Right now, I'm in love with this coral-colored end table that I picked up at the Nashville Flea Market and repainted. I wanted to put it in my living room, but when I finished it up, it just didn't fit. The proportions weren't right. So now it's in my booth, and I'm just waiting for the right person to come along and see what I saw in it.



Thanks for sharing with us, Wendy Lee! I love your booth and can't wait to see how it flourishes! Stay tuned for another "Friends Of Owl Really" post soon from Andy's friend Mark who recently opened a booth full of awesome "mantiques" at the 8th Avenue Antique Mall right around the corner from Tennessee Antique Mall!

2 comments:

Thanks so much for visiting and for leaving a comment! I try to reply by email to most comments - if you are a blogger user, please make sure you have your email address set so that you're not a "no-reply" user.