Thursday, January 24, 2013

2013 Goal - Make a Quilt!

quilts

I've been saying that I want to make a quilt for forever - 2013 is the time to do it!

I received Denyse Schmidt's "Quilts" book for Christmas and bought The 7 Day Quilt at our local used bookstore. Between the two, I should be able to figure out what to do and tackle this project!

The major problem is that I feel overwhelmed when I think about making a quilt because I'm not a perfectionist - all my sewing projects tend to be slightly wonky. :)

When I bought the bag of quilt pieces in Gatlinburg, I vowed that I would make a quilt before we returned to Gatlinburg the next year...which means I have 10 months to tackle this! It's a great winter project - I should start NOW...but I'm scared!!

I do need some input on the quilt pieces - I went through them and separated out the ones I wanted to keep, the ones that were cut into shapes that made no sense to me, and the fabric that I didn't want to keep. As I was going through them though, they smelled...really bad. They are all pre-cut so I'm afraid if I wash them, they will fray to pieces...and I'm not sure Febreze will help. Any input??

If I don't use the pre-cut quilt pieces, then I will probably try this quilt-as-you-go strip quilt.

I gotta be honest though...this process terrifies me!!

If you're new to Owl Really, welcome! Please check out my favorite posts and consider subscribing! :)

5 comments:

  1. Could you just soak them in the sink and lay them out to dry?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so embarrassed that washing them in the sink didn't occur to me. :-) Great idea!! Where is my brain!??!?! :-D

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sure you'll do great. And if things are wonky, that's okay. Handmade things have imperfections and that's what makes them beautiful. I have a quilt that my grandmother made...and one from my great Aunt and they've got them too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good luck lady! I've never made a quilt because, well, I'm terrified of screwing it up. Just don't worry about being perfect. And if you're not enjoying it, don't feel like you have to finish. At least you are trying right?!
    Trish

    www.jellybonesblog.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Making a quilt does seem like a scary project but is so much fun! I have made several - none are perfect - but all are still in use. Anything I can help with, Just ask. Cutting is the most difficult part and that is already done!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for visiting and for leaving a comment! I try to reply by email to most comments - if you are a blogger user, please make sure you have your email address set so that you're not a "no-reply" user.